About the book
“My students desperately need Social and Emotional Learning competencies, but how do I effectively teach these skills with my already limited time?”
In a post-Covid landscape, teachers need tools to integrate Social and Emotional Learning into the daily fabric of their classrooms without losing time for academic content. If you don’t plan to teach SEL skills upfront, you will lose academic time as students struggle throughout the year. Explicitly teaching Transformative SEL competencies is an unparalleled opportunity to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for ALL learners. PBL generates organic situations to intentionally foster the SEL competencies daily. The Pulse of PBL offers tried and true strategies on how each of the five SEL competencies can be seamlessly taught, practiced, and assessed inside the PBL framework.
Each chapter of The Pulse of PBL will demonstrate, competency by competency, how SEL can be naturally embedded into PBL. Specific examples, protocols, and stories from both elementary and secondary classrooms around the U.S. illustrate how PBL and SEL are a powerful combination. Transformative SEL changes the way students see themselves as learners, becoming active participants in their communities and the world!
- How do I leverage student social and cultural identities to develop their Self-Awareness?
- How do I build students’ ability to Self-Manage their time, task, and teams?
- How do I create student experiences that heighten empathy to sharpen their Social Awareness?
- How do I strengthen students’ capacity for collaboration and communication to forge productive Relationship Skills?
- How do I present authentic opportunities for Responsible Decision-Making in projects to affect their communities and their lives?
- How do I assess the SEL competencies to ensure ALL students apply their skills in meaningful learning?